If I Were Joe Biden

 I try to not judge others too harshly and when I feel tempted to do so, I try to put myself in their shoes. I have thought too much about where our country is and where I am. With that said, I have thought about what I would do if I were President-elect Joe Biden and here it is:



I would call a press conference for this evening and since I am the President-elect, it would be carried by every major news outlet. And here is the speech I would deliver.

Good evening fellow Americans. Next week I will be sworn in as the 46th President of these great United States of America. I was elected on the notion of "Restoring the Soul of America". I know there are 70+ million people that rejected that idea and voted otherwise. I respect your vote and your decision but I want you to know that I meant every word. Today I made two phone calls. The first was a conference call with Vice President-elect Harris, Speaker Pelosi, and soon to be Majority Leader Schumer. Kamala and I are aware of the impending Articles of Impeachment that have been drawn up and currently stand for a planned vote tomorrow. We have requested that these Articles be rescinded and that there be no vote. I would like to know that my Presidency began with a clean slate as much as I have the power to do that. Ms. Pelosi and Senator Schumer and I all have been in the business a long time and our time is coming to an end. We agreed that for the sake of the nation, we will do the hard things with the time we have left. 

My second call was to President Donald J. Trump. I have asked him to reconsider his decision and to attend the Inauguration on Monday. I explained that I am not asking for him to apologize or even to make any statement but simply for he and Melania to join Jill and I for a cup of coffee and then appear at the Inauguration together as a symbol of what it means to be an American. It was a hard fought election as is any election. And now that it is over, I want the country to heal and I want to be one of the catalyst toward that healing.

You see, I have been in Washington a very long time as all the memes on social media have depicted. And I remember when President George H.W. Bush hosted Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea Clinton. I heard President Clinton speak of the kindness of the Bush family and how President Bush became almost like a father figure to him. You may not know but President Clintons father died when Bill was just a boy. Even presidents are human. I'm not holding aspirations of that kind of relationship for myself and President Trump but I do love America and want her and the world to see that in this country, we are different. As a senator I remember the battles of words on the floor on policy and at end of the vote, myself and my colleagues from both sides of the aisle would go for a beer where we talked of sports, family, and ribbed each other about the days victories or defeats. I'm sorry, I guess I am old because I can't help but reminisce of old times. But as an old man I am stubborn and I will not let go of what was a dream to a few that became a nation to many... these United States of America. 

We don't have to agree to be civil. We don't have to give in to our opponents beliefs. But sometimes we have to agree to disagree and live to battle in the political arena another day. 

My fellow Americans, I welcome your different views, different backgrounds, different beliefs. I welcome what has made America the greatest nation on earth which is a conviction of faith, freedom and diversity. I welcome you. I hope you will join Jill and I as we are sworn in and I hope that you will join as we become better, we heal, and we look forward to a better day!

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America. Good night.


And there you have it. It's cheesy. It's Utopian. But it's what I would do. And that is probably one of many reasons why I will never be President. I have spoken to people that know Joe Biden and have said that he is one of the nicest people they have ever known. It's my dream so let me have it. You can dream of donkeys and elephants and I'll just dream of the America that I want my grandchildren to grow up in. 

Have a great evening,

Pastor Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B.S.

Bryant Baskteball Classic

Signs